The 'Father of Fort Myers'
Receives Final Honor
"Fifteen thousand of our Florida's sons, in time of war picked up their guns. While in their hearts held Dixie's song, with blood stained banners struggled on. And when their last full measure gave, at Home they found a warrior's grave.” Bill WardThe oldest cemetery in Lee County isn't listed in any guidebooks and it's likely that few people even know of its existence. Situated well off the road and surrounded by a copse of pine trees, the Frierson-Hendry Cemetery is down the road from the well known Ft. Myers Cemetery and is the final resting place for a man known as the 'Father of Fort Myers' - Captain Francis Asbury Hendry - as well as several other Confederate veterans, a few other families, and even some relatively new graves, as members of these families sometimes still asked to be buried there. A plaque on the fence that surround it places its establishment at sometime in 1870, when the area was no doubt surrounded by woods. Today, the little cemetery is surrounded by a rather rundown neighborhood, which led to its neglect for a number of years until the Hendry family began maintaining it regularly, uprighting toppled gravestones and mowing the grass.